- Infermedica’s AI-driven platform helps insurance and telemedicine companies and health systems increase efficiency through fast, digital symptom-checks
- New investment, led by EBRD and Heal Capital, will be used for R&D and international expansion in the US and Germany
- The platform has 56 B2B partners across 30 countries, including Microsoft, Allianz, Global Excel, Sana Kliniken and Médis, and performed more than 6 million health checks globally
Wrocław, Poland, 4th August 2020 – Infermedica, the AI-based platform supporting primary health care, has today announced it has raised $10.25 million in Series A funding. The round was led by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and digital health fund heal capital, with participation also coming from existing investors Karma Ventures, Inovo Venture Partners, and Dreamit Ventures.
The investment will be used for platform R&D to further enhance patient triage and symptom checking features as well as clinical decision support analysis – including intake collection, differential diagnostics and lab test interpretation – and to expand operations in Germany and the US, where it currently has one office. The new capital places total funding to date at $15 million.
Founded in 2012 in Wrocław, Poland, by Piotr Orzechowski (CEO), Infermedica is an AI-driven, customizable, multilanguage platform that aids patient care and healthcare service delivery. Based on the expertise of doctors and mixed with the algorithms of AI and machine learning, the solution delivers rapid symptom triage and instructions so patients can receive required healthcare quickly.
The company currently employs more than 100 specialists – including doctors, data scientists and engineers, and the team doubled last year.
The platform’s available interfaces include:
- Symptom Checker – a white-label, customizable application that provides fast digital symptom checking and analysis, suggesting a list of the most likely conditions. Symptom Checker is available as a chatbot and voice assistant, too.
- Call Centre Triage – a solution that aids telemedicine personnel to pre-diagnose patients and understand condition severity so they can provide relevant healthcare instructions.
- Infermedica API – direct access to the engine through a fully-customizable API than can be modelled to integrate directly onto clients’ websites, apps or telehealth system.
The company has nearly 60 B2B clients in the healthcare space, spanning 30 countries and has completed more than 6 million patient health checks. Notable partners and clients include Microsoft – which uses the Infermedica platform within its Healthcare bot – insurance giant Allianz, medical cost containment firm Global Excel, and leading German and Portuguese healthcare providers Sana Kliniken and Médis.
Infermedica also engages in non-profit projects – during the pandemic, the company quickly established a ‘COVID-19 Risk Assessment’ protocol in three weeks to aid with SARS-CoV-2 symptom checking. The tool was developed completely remotely and has been used by more than 500K patients and has been implemented by 300 organizations, including two national governments.
Commenting on the news, Piotr Orzechowski, CEO at Infermedica, said: “We’re thrilled to welcome EBRD and heal capital as new investors on board of our venture. Our mission is to improve quality and access to primary care with the use of AI-powered, constantly improving technology. As we all know, the COVID-19 pandemic has placed great pressure on health systems globally and it’s our obligation to help healthcare providers deliver safe and timely care. This additional funding will enable us to continue developing cutting-edge technology and expand our commercial operations in the US and Germany.”
Dr. Christian Weiss, Managing Partner at Heal Capital, commented: “Technology has the capability to transform healthcare, but there needs to be real harmony between innovation and human expertise – Infermedica has found it. The platform is streamlining healthcare delivery for doctors and patients, and its continuous high accuracy, alongside the company’s dedication to innovative technology is very impressive. We’re delighted to be onboard as Infermedica embarks on the next stage of its journey.”
Maria Barsuk, Venture Capital Investment Programme at EBRD added: “Healthcare is vital, but there are limitations around availability and cost, which often result in patients worldwide not receiving the treatment they need. Now, COVID-19 has introduced the requirement to perform more healthcare at distance, so adoption of digital healthcare solutions will only accelerate as they become mainstream and providers look for new ways to deliver first-class service. We’re excited to invest and looking forward to what Infermedica’s future holds.”
Infermedica, Inc. is a leading digital health company specialized in AI-powered solutions for preliminary diagnosis and patient triage. Its pioneering technology is used by industry leaders including Microsoft, Allianz, Global Excel, Sana Kliniken and Unipol, and has performed over 6 million health checks globally.